Ideas: Bursa Malaysia Berhad



I've been looking at Bursa Malaysia for a while. I classify it as a growth stock with very hefty dividends.

And indeed when it grows it really grows over the years:

Look ma, I'm growin'!

Bursa Malaysia historically pays dividends at least twice, sometimes thrice if there's special dividends. At Bursa Marketplace (yes, operated by Bursa Malaysia itself), it says it pays 3.62% dividends, though I estimate it pays higher than that if acquired at low enough price.

As no one else is running the equity market in Malaysia, or most if not all of its activities, you can say Bursa Malaysia has enough economic moat around itself. Additionally, I perceive that the company has been proactive to promote the participation and growth of Malaysian capital market in general. I for one love going to their events!

Since the 4Q2018 or even slightly before, there had been widespread fear around the World about stocks. Everybody talks about "volatility" or "whipsaw". The price of Bursa Malaysia similarly had been declining, and was particularly weak in mid-to-end of December 2018 and traded at around RM6.75-RM6.80.

Though I wanted to enter the market, I only watched on the sidelines as I lacked dry powder – didn't want to dip into my emergency funds for capital deployment. I'd love to buy the dip, but man, don't touch the darn emergency funds!

Look what could've happened had you bought the dip!

And today, merely weeks after that, the counter was traded at RM7.32, a potential gain of ~8%.






Of course there's always the couldav-beens. Yet, I didn't make, or more importantly, lose money. Remember rule number 1: don't lose money. Rule number 2: remember rule number 1 as per Buffetology.
Better to wish that you have bought, than wish that you've never bought.

As always, please do your own due diligence before investing. This piece is merely for entertainment purposes.

Comments

Popular Posts